Thursday, August 02, 2007

Back at last

How did it get to be August?!?!? That's what I want to know. The end of July turned out to be pretty hectic as Nate's grandfather passed away and we had to drive up to Minnesota unexpectedly. The trip went really well, though. We were able to borrow the church's 11 passenger van and Nate got a fabulous deal on a fancy hotel from Priceline. The kids were so good on the trip, despite being in a van for 24 hours straight, minus short rest stops, and then being in hotel rooms, churches, houses with no toys, etc. It was just not a kid friendly trip at all, but they did so well and adjusted wonderfully. I think that says more about people praying for us than for the children's natural wont, but it was a great blessing. We left Friday afternoon. Nate drove til 10 pm, then Night Owl Me got a big coffee and drove til 6 am, then Nate drove some more, then his dad drove us into Minneapolis. I got about 2 hours of broken sleep in the back of the van the rest of the day, so was a bit zombie like when we arrived at Nate's grandmother's house. But, after a good night's rest at the Crown Plaza, I was good to go. The visitation at the funeral home was Sunday evening, then Monday morning was the memorial service. Nate wrote a beautiful tribute to his grandfather and read it at the funeral. He said that getting his thoughts down on paper and thinking through it all was a really good grieving time for him. Here is what he wrote:

"As I look to my memories of the time I spent with my grandfather I am struck by how much of what I remember I still see through the eyes of my childhood. These sweet memories, though they may be fading, are a heritage to be treasured, honored, and passed on to my children. I think today of the legacy of Grandpa Bob embodied in the four little children I call my own. What will they know of their great grandfather through me, how will his life effect them, though they never knew him. Will they wonder about this man, about their fleeting young memory of the time of his passing?

I imagine someday little Grace and Claire asking about Great Grandpa Bob, this big happy man they see in an old picture album. Oh, Grandpa would have loved you, I would tell them. When he saw you, he wouldn’t have called you Zeke or Squirt or Tiger or one of the other nicknames he had for your uncle and me, but I’m sure you’d have had a special girl’s nickname all your own. And he probably wouldn’t have brought you baseball cards or sports magazines when he came to visit you, but you can bet he would have thought of something to bring you to make you feel special. Then he would have picked you up with his great strong hands, set you up on his knee, and asked you what you’d been up to. Later you could have heard his great big laugh fill the room you were in and you’d have seen the smiles on the faces of each person there as they shared in his stories, his jokes, and his sayings.

You could be sure at some point his stories would turn to food, and he’d probably have you almost drooling as you shared in his delight over the cooking he’d enjoyed on some recent day. You might even have started to get hungry, but you wouldn’t be worried, because when you were with Grandpa Bob a trip to Perkins couldn’t be too far off.

He would always have his camera close by, and you’d probably get so used to him pulling it out of his front shirt pocket and snapping it that you’d hardly even notice after awhile. If you visited his house you might have seen his desk and his colored pencils, and then you’d have known one reason he took so many pictures. On a special day, you might have been able to come along as he delivered a portrait he had drawn of a friend or acquaintance. You’d have seen the look of surprise and gratitude on that person’s face, amazed that this friendly man would give such a special part of himself and his talents and ask nothing in return.

As you would visit with Grandpa Bob you might hear some small story about a time very long ago when he gave a special part of himself and his talents for the service of this great country he loved. He wouldn’t tell you much, but you’d still marvel that this man whom you knew and loved had played a part in such a vast and terrible struggle for the sake of your freedom.
Throughout the day you’d notice what a special place Grandma held in his life. Whether it was a quick kiss on the cheek, squeeze of the hand, holding of a door, or a quick wink and grin as he said, “Yes Dear,” you would be sure that he couldn’t do without this amazing woman in his life.
When it was time for him to go away he’d remind you to write him a letter just to say Hi. Then he’d be absolutely sure to get a great big hug from you, he’d squeeze you so tight you’d feel the rough scratching of his cheek on yours, and the fresh smell of his aftershave would linger with you even as you watched his Buick drive away down your street. Then all at once you’d miss him, because he’d brought such joy into your life that day.


“I want to spend a day with my Great-Grandpa,” I imagine my little Claire saying as she hears these stories. Well, I would say, there is something else I want to tell you about Grandpa, the most important thing, really. You see, he had a friend, a very dear, cherished, wonderful friend. This friend was with him every single day of his life, and when he was older he grew closer and closer to Him. He told his family about this great friend, and many others he met during his life. It gave him great peace to know this friend, and it was his complete trust in this friend’s grace and love that brought him to the place where he is today. If he could have just a moment with you now I know his first words would be of this friend. His friend’s name is Jesus. You can know Jesus too, my dear little girl. You can accept the gifts He has for you, spend this life with Him, love Him, and some far-off day, when the time is right, it’s only Jesus who can take you to a place where you too can spend a day with Grandpa Bob."

Nate did so well reading it, too. He so has a gift for public speaking and just sharing things in a wonderful way that people understand. It's funny, I joke with him that most people are scared of public speaking and do fine with "private" speaking, but he's just he opposite, it's the one on one conversations he has trouble with. ;P We got to spend some good time with relatives after the service, and then the burial at Fort Snelling was Tuesday morning. We left after lunch on Tuesday.

The timing of the Minnesota trip was a bit disappointing, only because I missed a little time with my dear friend, Heather, who had flown down from Maine to spend a week. Esther picked her up at the airport for me the night before we got home. So Heather had to spend the morning here by herself, with only Bandit the kitten for company. She was so gracious, though, and didn't even mind that I was kind of braindead for driving all night long and then for a few hours at the end of the trip before we got home around 1 on Wednesday afternoon.

I had such a wonderful visit with Heather. Where do I even begin describing the sweet, godly, incredible woman that is Heather MacKenzie?!? Our families have known each other forever, in fact, I think we are actually 5th or 6th cousins, so we have been friends for ever, but this was the first time we were actually able to spend any significant amount of time together visiting since we were in high school. We got to know each other as women, not just as friends, and it was great. It was so refreshing to be with someone who is not so caught up in the many things that so commonly distract women from what is truly important. Part of that is just that she's from Maine, and, well, we're just simpler up there, but mostly it is just that she has her eyes fixed on Jesus, and all the earthly things pale in comparison. Although she is one of the most beautiful and graceful people I have ever met, she doesn't care at all about makeup, having the latest hairstyle, wearing the newest, coolest clothes, driving the newest car, living in a fancy house or other shallow concerns that we as women sometimes get stuck on. At least I know I do. She didn't seem concerned about what other people thought of her, about being the center of attention, about getting "what she deserves" from people around her. She is just a servant, devoted to her husband, loving her family, serving the Lord in whatever He gives her to do. She has a radiance that shines on her features and colors her speech that only comes from having your heart resting in the Lord. We had some really great talks, sharing our different struggles, encouraging one another and sharing what the Lord is teaching us. I am so thankful that she came.

Now that I had my mopey day yesterday over the fact that Heather had to go home to her husband, I am feeling back to life today and am now all excited about planning our real trip to Minnesota, that we had had planned for months before we had to go up for Grandpa Bob's funeral. There was some talk of nixing the trip because we had to go up for that, but those of us in the Buchan family who think with our hearts and now with our wallets (think...anyone but Nathan...) have convinced the more reluctant ones that this is a necessary trip still. Actually I think it is even more important now, especially for Nate's grandmother, for her to have some time after Bob's passing and then to have us up there for a more joyful reunion. So, we are all excited. We will be staying at the camp that is at Oak Hills college where Scott and Mandi work. I can't wait to be out there on the lake. And, Monday night when Heather and I went out to dinner and shopping, courtesy of my wonderful husband watching the kids for me, I found a bathing suit!!!! And it actually covers me up, and looks halfway cute!! I was so excited, and the best part is that it was about 70% off. I found some really cute little fishing poles for the boys on ebay. George is so excited for us to finally go on a canoe ride, which we never got to do when he and I and Claire went up to Maine in May. Oh, I could so spend all day on a lake in a canoe, just paddling around in the stillness, listening to the loons call, or jumping in to swim in the refreshing water. I think I may be more excited to go than the kids are. And, we will get to spend more time with Scott and Mandi and their beautiful girls. They are such wonderful people and it will be great to have that time together without having to rush around like we did when we were in MN before.

Well, now that I have developed a crippling case of carpel tunnel from typing so much, I should go. BUT, on this 2nd day of August, I have to say "Happy Anniversary!" to my wonderful parents, who have been married 32 years today...wow! And "Happy Birthday!!" to my crazy little brother, David, "May your sporran always be full and your kilt never rise in the wind!" (Just a little Scottish humor for you)

No comments: