Wednesday, March 08, 2006

How do you usually react to criticism of your parenting choices?... whether direct criticism aimed at you directly... or criticism of a philosophy that you use in your own parenting?...

This was the Swonderings at W@H this week.

I was really kind of sheepish about answering this because I don't think I do a very good job when this comes up. I try to listen to all the other person is saying, and somtetimes I have a hard time defending myself. Or, I defend myself as much as I can, and leave the conversation questioning my methods. There are some things that I KNOW are right and those I do not hesitate to defend, especially if I can do it with Scripture, but the other things, like just preferences, choices...I have a hard time with. I know this is because of one of the great flaws in my character, that I am far too dependent upon the opinions of others. At least while I am with them. I try very hard, and it does come pretty naturally to me otherwise, to accomodate other people and their opinions, sometimes to the detriment of my own position.

Recently a friend made a comment to me about something I did with my kids, that she was glad it worked for me, but she wanted more for her kids. Basically implying that I wasn't doing all I should for my children. It wasn't a Biblical issue, it was a choice, either of which of our opinions would be valid or right. I guess what it all boils down to is that you have to do what is right FOR YOUR FAMILY. The farther I get into motherhood, the more I realize that I know nothing. That I have no right to judge another's situation, or motives or actions, and I hope they do the same for me. I believe it is incumbent upon all of us to continually seek the Lord's opinion on matters, whether through clearly spelled out principles of Scripture, or seeking the Holy Spirit's leading. And then, with a clear conscience, we may say "I am just doing what I feel the Lord is leading me to do." And if that's not a good enough answer for the naysayers, then should I really be giving credence to their opinions anyway? I don't think so.

No comments: