Friday, August 29, 2008

Friday...

I suppose I should be doing Friday Felicities, but I just don't feel very...um, felicitous right now. I hate to succumb to the cliche, but I am faced with the fact that I am completely and utterly depressed about turning 30. I have been in various stages of denial (my favorite coping technique) about it for about 6 months, and kept thinking I would just start thinking it was not a big deal, but as the time has come closer it has been harder and harder to deny that I can feel it as a great weight upon my shoulders...the fact that I will no longer be in my 20's....tomorrow.

I have gotten several presents in the mail. Sweet birthday cards. All from dear precious people who (I don't know why) love me even when my idiotic psychosis demands that I reject the reason for their kind generosity. I don't want anything to remind me of it. My mil even offered!!!! to watch the kids tomorrow night so Nate could take me out, which usually I would leap at the chance for, but I just have no desire to go.

I really do realize that all this introspection and raging against things I cannot change is not only fruitless and a waste of time, but also terribly self centered. And I don't know if my extreme lack of sleep from our trip (and over the last 7 years) is propogating this mental drudgery, or if it has just snuck up on me or what. It's not as if I am terribly dissatisfied with where I am at in my life right now. My life is FULL of blessings. I have a wonderful husband, four beautiful and healthy children, a nice home, family and friends, great church, etc. I have nothing to complain about. And I have never, I thought, held 30 as a huge change in other people. Maybe my stress levels are just coinciding with my birthday and that is the hinge upon which my despondancy is swinging. Maybe I think I can no longer pretend to be young and fun and carefree anymore once I am that old. That I will have no more excuses for not acting "like a grown-up." Maybe I feel that I should have things more together by now, or that I should be farther along in my Christian walk. All I really know is that even the thought of turning that corner into the next decade just makes me want to cry. And if you know me, you know I hate to cry.

4 comments:

Windy said...

Maybe it's also the post vacation blah's... I get them BAD after we get home from seeing family, especially.

This is me...lovingly telling you to "CALL YOU MOTHER IN LAW, GIVE HER THE KIDS, AND GO HAVE FUN WITH YOUR HUSBAND!" I promise PROMISE you won't regret it!!!

Getting older is scary at times, but try to focus on today, right now, this moment. At this moment, you are a child of God whom he absolutely adores, and nothing you do or don't do can make Him love you more or less. Right now you have beautiful children who are healthy and happy. Right now you are blessed and God is taking care of you and providing everything you need.

I get sooooooo overwhelmed, and sometimes depressed too when I think too far into the future, so I totally understand your feelings, Charity. Focusing on the NOW has been a mental exercise that has helped my anxiety and my fears. It keeps me focused on gratitude and helps me enjoy LIFE that is happening NOW, so it doesn't pass me by. =)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! LOVE YA!!

Anonymous said...

now I feel glad that I forgot to send you a birthday message on Facebook! :)

Heather Sztanyo

Anonymous said...

((((((((((((Charity))))))))))))))

I am sorry. I started the thread on WAH wishing you Happy Birthday.

ILU! Wishing I could come give you a real hug.

Katie - from WAH

Cheri said...

Hello, hello

thank you for stopping by my blog--honestly I am horrible about blog reading lately too! I am SO sorry I missed your birthday. You know I love a birthday. :) And honey, I am 35...and you see how fabulous I am. ::giggles::

I'm glad school is going well for yall. I'm going to be better about checking in her on you.

love you friend!