Thursday, September 08, 2005

It's Thursday. In Bible study tonight Suzanne, Robin and I are supposed to "teach" bread-making. Of course, this presupposes that I am actually qualified to teach! :P Suzanne and I were saying that we hope Robin is an expert, because we certainly don't feel like we are. It'll be fun anyway. And Krista is bringing homemade jams for us to eat on the fresh bread, it should be super yummy. I am still trying to catch up on rest from being up for so long while I was with Amy when she was in labor. I loved being her "doula", and I am still exhausted from it. :) She did incredibly well, and pushed out that 9 lb, 4 oz baby all on her own, no drugs or anything. She was doing a VBAC and of course the chance of uterine rupture goes up with any drugs, induction or painkilling, so she wanted to go all natural. She certainly did all she could to prepare her body and her mind, and it truly paid off. I was so proud of her. It was an honor to have a part in such a special time in her life. Lukas Gregory was born at 9:42 Tuesday morning. I had been with her since about 10 Monday night. We got to the hospital at about 2, and after explaining her specifically outlined wishes over and over and continually reasuring the nurses that she did in fact know what she wanted, Amy was left pretty much alone by the well meaning staff. Her husband Steve and I stayed with her and both "coached" her through contractions. I don't much like that term, but it's a familiar one in this scenario. After being with Amy for her entire labor, I was even more convinced of the absolute necessity of choosing a proper birth environment, that including people and place. Especially being in the sometimes hostile environment of the hospital, having trusted, supportive people around you, reminding you of what you need to hear and making sure that your wishes are carried out is vital. Amy's husband was very loving and supportive, although being a man, he certainly didn't "get" how it felt or what truly helped during the labor. At one point, I almost kicked him in the shin, when he sat down next to Amy and said "Man, I have the worst headache, it's just awful, I think I need to go get a tylenol." :>* Then he felt lightheaded and needed to go get some air, then he needed some coffee. It was a hard time for him, I think, just seeing his dear wife go through something he couldn't really help her with or take away. He loves her so much, though, and he was doing a great job of just loving her like only a husband can do. It was certainly a special experience for me, and they both said repeatedly that they were so glad that I was there. That really meant a lot. I love birth, pregnancy and all to do with it, and just absolutely treasure being able to help in even a small way those going through that special time in their lives. I would love someday to be a childbirth educator or even a real doula. Who knows what the Lord will bring down my path later in life.

1 comment:

Misty said...

If I ever get pregnant again, you can be my doula!