Friday, January 21, 2005

Catch up!

I feel like my whole schedule is off. Nate came home from work at 4 in the afternoon on Wednesday, (completely unheard of!!!), then he took the day off yesterday!!! It was the first day off he's taken during the week since Christmas. It was so incredibly wonderful to spend so much time together as a family, and it was nice to catch up on some housework that I wouldn't have been able to if he hadn't been here to watch kids. We watched the inauguration on TV, then when the kids were napping, we finally took down all the Christmas decorations and the tree. It was wonderful to get that done, I feel like it's been hanging over my head for weeks now. When the kids woke up, Nate wanted to go look for an entertainment center. He's been wanting one for awhile now. I was quite happy with our little wooden $10 table from Goodwill that we've had for 5 years, but he wanted something more substantial. He got a bigger TV a few months ago, and a DVD player, which has been in our bedroom. Well, we got the kids packed up and went into town. Nate ran in to one furniture store to see if they had anything worth really looking at, and came back and said they had one really big one on clearance. We went to Big Lots to look there, and they had the same one, only not on clearance, and a slightly differant model. It looked so big and dark. It had a cherry like finish. Not that it was real wood, it was that fake press board stuff. Then we went to Lowe's to see if they had anything, and while we were there, Nate said we should look at light fixtures. The ceiling fan/light in the living room and the kitchen we've never replaced, and they look like they've been there since the 70's when our house was built. We both fell in love with this gorgeaus wrought iron leaf set of lights. We got a ceiling light for the living room, and a torchiere that matched. I was very excited, I think they are so beautiful. Then, after Nate ran into Wal-mart to see if they had any entertainment centers comparable to the one at the first place, (and deciding they didn't), we sped back to the first place to get the one he had seen there. I thought it looked huge and ugly, but there is a lot of storage space in it, and for the price, it was worth not loving it. Then we went to McDonalds for a late supper. I hate McDonalds, but it was right next door, and the kids were starving. We let them play on the playground there, and they just loved it. It was 9 before we got home and got the kids into bed, and than Nate installed the ceiling light and set up the torchiere. They look so nice! Then, at about 10, he decides to start putting together this monstrosity of an entertainment center. I tried to stay awake, and finally, at 1, we both called it quits and went to bed. He got about half of it done. It will be nice tonight to get it done and store some things in it, it will really let us unclutter the bookshelf and computer desk, and get the movies away so I'm not constantly correcting Ian from putting in videos. I'd like to get a couch cover for my ugly brown couch, and than the living room will be almost how i'd like it. I take so incredibly long to make decisions, though, by the time I get my house decorated like I like it, we'll have outgrown it! This morning, we went to spend some time and have lunch with a good friend. She has three boys, and our kids love playing together. That's another reason my schedule is off. I really like planning and having a set schedule to my days, so I feel kind of lost when they go all crazy. But, it was so great to spend the whole day with my husband yesterday, and it was wonderful to spend time with my friend today. Welcome deviations. :) Speaking of my husband, I think I am going to tell you my secret New Year's resolution. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but now I am placing a burden upon any who read this. I want you to keep me accountable. My resolution was to start treating my husband as if I were trying to win him, instead of taking him for granted. I want to treat that man so good, and really Biblically love him. So far, I have done alright, but last night, my attitude got a little sinful, and I wasn't acting towards him as I should have been. Now that you know it, I ask for your help. If I post anything that tells of my not being faithful to this commitment, please call me on it. Post a comment and read me the riot act. Well, you say, why couldn't you just not put on here if you've done wrong? My answer is that I created this blog for an outlet for my thoughts, a journal of my actions, and hopefully, a springboard to my path towards being more Christ-like, and if I don't put the truth here, I may as well stop putting anything here. I know my resolve is not worthy of the task, but with the Lord's strength, and maybe some nudging from my cyber sisters, I can start treating my husband the way he should be treated. Well, George is calling me, and so is the laundry, so i'd better go. God bless you in your journey today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hold you accountable? How can I when I don't treat my husband that way? Sheesh! Thanks a lot Charity. (grin)

Cheri said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful day. I love those kind. And I just took my tree down today...I still have to take the boys two down in their rooms tomorrow. And yay on your committment to act as if you are trying to win your hubby. I think it is so easy to become comfortable and complaicent (sp) in our roles sometimes as wives. Thank you for the encouragement and reminder. And with that I'm off to now order this book I've been contemplating buying and you now have spurred that decision into action. :)

http://www.nogreaterjoy.org/index.php?id=87 (that's the book if you are interested)