Wednesday, January 12, 2005

sleeping babies!

Well, I am afraid that I was right in my suspicions of Grace not liking dairy, because a day and a half after I stopped having any, she slept seven hours at night!!! Neither of my boys slept that long until they were at least 5 or 6 months old, George was almost a year old. I nursed her at 10 last night, and then I woke up at 4:30, with my boobs exploding and thinking "Oh no! what's happened to her?" I flipped the light on, and she wiggled reassuringly then settled back down, so I turned the light off again. I dozed off, and she didn't wake up to eat until 5. She had a little trouble latching on, just because I was soooo full, but she eventually did. She wasn't acting any hungrier, though than if it had just been two or three hours since she ate last. She's so laid back. Then she woke up again at 8, and I tried to feed her, but she wasn't very hungry and only ate a little bit and went back to sleep. She's still sleeping now! She usually sleeps until about 10 in the morning. About the dairy, I had read on my homebirth message board that Andria, whose son is a few days older than Grace, had given up dairy, and her son was sleeping so much better and not being as gassy. I had pizza for lunch on Sunday, and Sunday night she really started spitting up more than usual, and then was up with an upset tummy Monday morning from about4 until 7. The last dairy I had was lunch on Monday, and by last night, she seemed more calm after eating, and then sleeping so long at night, wow! Now, I'm not sure it was the dairy, but it seems like too much of a coincidence. I will abstain for a while longer, and if she stops spitting up so much and continues to sleep well, I think I will cut it out of my diet altogether. I was on a no dairy, no meat, no eggs, no sugar, no caffeine diet for my endometriosis when we lived in Pensacola, and I did feel so much better when I was on it, and I really think it's what enabled me to get pregnant. When I did get pregnant with George, though, after awhile I started eating dairy and all of it again, and was fine. So, at least I am used to changing my diet. Of course, now we only eat hormone-free meat, and now that the holidays are over, will really try to cut out sugar. I haven't had caffeine for about 5 years now anyway, I've been on that diet, then pregnant or nursing, (or both) since then. I did lose weight on that diet, so maybe it will be good for me not to have dairy, that means no high fat cheese or ice cream. I know I need to start making my bread again, I feel so much better when I am eating it, and the kids, and Nate, love it. My mother was admonishing me that I should at least make some muffins with the good flour, to have on hand and they wouldn't take that long to make. I think I will make bread tonight, I hope my ambition is matched by my energy level when the time comes, though. I have been soooo tired the last two days, I haven't gotten hardly anything done. At least I made supper last night. I need to get beyond the basics of just keeping up with dishes and taking care of kids. Yesterday, George woke up from his afternoon nap before Ian, and I played a game with him instead of just letting him watch another video. My poor spoiled children have watched more videos the last few days than they ever have before, since Grace has been fussier and requiring more attention. Of course, I just want to sit around all day and just hold her and look at her, but with two older ones, and a messy house, that's just not an option. In some ways, I worry about not being able to give her as much attention as George got, or even Ian, but thankfully, she is so calm and not clingy, it doesn't seem like she's suffering any. She prefers to be held, but she does just fine put down in her carseat or bouncer. The last few days, it seems like she has grown so much. A lot of her 0-3 month things are getting kind of snug on her. She seems to have filled out and stretched out overnight. I should measure her. She has been such a joy, and so sweet. We are so very thankful for her, and so glad that God worked things out the way He did. We didn't plan on being pregnant with her, but of course we are so thankful that God overrode our plans and gave us Grace. :)


No comments: