Tuesday, January 25, 2005

tuesday

I never got the chance to post yesterday. I was trying to clean up this messy house in the morning, then in the afternoon, one of my newly pregnant friends brought over her neighbor, who was also a friend of mine, and is about 6 months pregnant. Her neighbor and I are both homebirthers, but my friend who is newly pregnant has had three hospital births. We were talking about the differances in our birthing experiences, and she was just asking questions, why do they do that in the hospital? Nothing that she said about her experience was positive, she readily admits this. I am at a loss why someone would choose to repeat an experience that has been negative. She was saying they didn't listen to her, they didn't honor her wishes, they wouldn't let her rest at night after having the baby, but woke her up to do bloodwork and ask when she peed last. (amazing), and when she got into the hospital at 3 cm, they wanted to put her on Pitocin immediately. She asked if she could walk around to try to get the contractions going, and they "let" her. Her contractions really picked up and when she got back to the room, they said "Okay, time for the pitocin." They didn't even listen to her that her contractions had picked up and weren't even going to check her!!! Finally, she got a nurse to listen to her , and they checked and she was 7 cm. Then they said she had to have an IV of fluid and right before
she was going to push, they put a shot of painkiller in the iv without even asking her. Then, when the baby started to come quicker than they expected, they told her she couldn't push, but had to wait for the doctor. Again, I don't know why someone would choose to repeat a negative experience. I will really be praying that she will be able to make a choice that would be better for her. I hope she can. I will get off that, as I could really go on and on on that subject, as anyone who knows me knows. I just have to put in here, George, my three year old is putting together his puzzle of the United States beside me, and there is a picture of the white house, and he asked me who lives there. (He knows) I said "The president", and he said "No, mama, you call him George Bush, mama, his name is George W. Bush!" He takes his politics very seriously. His father would be so proud. Anyway, here we are back in blog land. I read Misty's blog yesterday and she had a link on there to Molly's blog, www.threepennies.blogdrive.com. This woman has been writing, and I think continues to write, an excellent series on bitterness. I was really convicted and inspired by her post of yesterday, and I will definitely continue to read her posts. I hope she writes more on the subject. On an entirely differant subject, I was so encouraged this morning when George asked to go potty. I put pull-ups on him, and he peed in the potty twice today, but just a few minutes ago, he pooped in them. He never even told me he had to go. I am so frustrated with him and potty training. I don't think it'll ever happen. I mean, I know rationally, it will, but he is just confounding. I reward him every time he even sits on the potty, and we talk about how great it would be to go stinky on the potty, (he cries almost every time I change his messy diapers), but it's like it doesn't go beyond the words. Sometimes he just comes up and tells me that he's a big boy and he wears underwear and goes in the potty, but he just won't. I wish I really knew whether or not he had the physical readiness to really do it, or if he is just being stubborn and set in his little ways like he does. I really don't know. I think once it gets warm, I am just going to put him in real underwear and not look back. I'm sure it'll be messy for awhile, but he's bound to get it eventually, right? I wish I knew the right way to go about it, but everyone tells me something differant. I think it's not an unreasonable hope, though, that by the end of the year, maybe both the boys will be out of diapers. I have a feeling Ian will be a lot easer to train. Things are just more straightforward with him, he's much less sensetive and he already loves to copy whatever George is doing. I hope the Lord blesses us with more children down the road (a few years down the road), and it would be nice to have some diaper free time in there somewhere. Only He knows, however. Well, I should probably start getting supper ready. I think Ian is teething again, he's had a runny nose and been drooly all day, and he's taken a three and a half hour nap this afternoon. He's actually still sleeping now at 5:30, and I put him down at 2. I even got a nap today, it was wonderful. Okay, I really have to go now.

1 comment:

Misty said...

Hi Charity,

Not to sound too corny, but Dr. Phil has great advice about potty training. I'm sure you can find it on his website if you do a search. I think a three year old is more than ready to potty train (physically). It's the emotional thing (scared) that hinders them. I did the Dr. Phil thing with Grace when she was 2 years 9 months and she potty trained in a day. She had a couple of pee pee accidents the first day, but nothing after that. Anyway, for what that's worth... See you soon!