Sunday, April 03, 2005

It's Sunday afternoon. Nathan went to Home Depot right after we got home from church and got a ton of "lawn"stuff: lime, hay, grass seed, bug killer, plastic edging and slate chips for in front of the house...He is out there listening to the Nascar race on the radio and washing the front of the house right now. I was kind of bummed that the one afternoon a week we get to spend together he had to be out doing things, but it REALLY needs to be done, and he always feels so great after he's spent some time out getting dirty and working hard. Am I totally crazy or is there anyone else out there who thinks a dirty, sweaty, working hard man is totally sexy? I love it when he comes in with dirt all over his clothes and wipes the sweat off his bald head with his muscly arm. Of course, I don't really care for how he smells, or for getting the dirt out of the laundry, but he sure looks good when he comes in. :P He hardly ever gets to "get dirty" any more. Nate worked his way through college putting pools in here, working 80-90 hour weeks in the Georgia sun. He was so buff and so tan when we got married. (Of course, I still look just as great as when I got married, ha ha ha...) His job now is just mentally taxing, not physically. I know some days he would just so much rather be out digging a hole than managing the retail side of the business. He's talking about taking the winter off. Well, not physically, but mentally. Okay, that sounded weird. The pool business is extremely seasonal. March through about July is ridiculously busy, and the other months, especially the winter, are really slow. In years past, he has worked on all sorts of projects for work in the slow season, tried to make improvements in everything, and still ends up working more than he needs to. The owner of the company has already told him several times this year that he has too much on his plate, and he shouldn't be working so hard. Yes, that's right, his boss told him not to work so hard. That's just how Nate is, he HAS to be working, thinking, improving, making things more efficient, etc. or he just goes crazy. I have tried in the past to redirect his creative walloping work ethic towards home and family, but have never been too successful. Maybe this fall and winter will be a good time of that. I'm not pinning any hopes on anything, though. The man will need a break, he doesn't let himself relax. I am just hoping that this winter can be a good time of refreshing for him.

We had the birthday party for his mom last night. Mom and Dad came over, Ross was working with Nathan yesterday so he came with him and Caleb came a little later. I made crockpot creamy chicken, wild rice, steamed veggies, and biscuits. I got done almost everything I wanted to, except getting decorations put up. I think Karen liked her presents. I got her a picture tree from Target, I thought it was really cute. It was a pewter looking tree, about 8" high, with double sided oval shaped picture frames hanging from it. I cropped and printed out pics of the grandkids and put them in 4 of the 10 spaces. We also got her a really cute photo album with a suede cover that said "Grandchildren" on it and had some cutesy little saying embossed on the front. George had picked out a little porcelain bunny planter for her. He told her what is was as soon as she walked in the door. I made her a wheat free chocolate cake which tasted good but had a really crumbly texture. After mom and dad left, Caleb got out the nintendo and started playing Tetris. I wasn't going to play, I haven't in a few months, but then Nate said "You guys have to see my wife play Tetris, she is a total rock star." (Just a side note, him saying that totally made my day!) So, after I put the boys to bed, I played a few times. I just find it so relaxing. It was fun. Caleb and Ross left at about 11, then Nate decides we need to watch a movie! He's sick, too, I thought he'd crash as soon as they left. He fell asleep before the movie was over. I think he just wanted an excuse to make some microwave popcorn. So, we got into bed at about 1:30, real time because of the clock switch. Then I couldn't fall asleep. I was tired, but not exhausted and I just lay there tossing and turning for hours. Grace nursed a few times in there, then I woke up at about 7, thinking George would be up any minute, then I remembered the time change, and went back to sleep. He didn't get up till almost 8. I know this makes no sense, but because I have absolutely no clock in my head, even though I "lost" an hour, I felt like I got to sleep more because George didn't get up till 8, as opposed to his usual 7. You'd think I'd be tired now, but I am totally awake.

George is out "helping" Daddy, and Ian and Grace are asleep still. Grace is sleeping on the couch with her little fingers intertwined in the blanket Misty gave her at her baby shower. She is so in love with that blanket. You can just see her calm down and get happy when I give it to her. The boys never got attached to a blanket this early. They are both little Linuses though, and need "their" blankets to fall asleep. George has the blanket I had when I was a little girl. My grandmother made it for me. Karen sewed a new blue edging on it for George. Ian's blanket was made for him by a lady at our church. It has animals all around the outside edge, and his name and birthday in the middle.

We aren't going to our life group tonight, Nate wanted to get this lawn stuff all done today. I'm kind of glad, though, because the kids are overtired, and then maybe Nate and I can spend some quality time together tonight. I rented some movies the other day that we haven't watched yet, maybe we'll do it tonight.

I just have to say, I am amazed at how much better I feel today than I did last Sunday. I know it hasn't been my diet changes, that couldn't have worked so quickly. I really thought for sure my endo was back to stay, and this is the first day that I have had no pain. God is so good to me. He is so gracious and loving and merciful.

Well, I have to go play at WAH now. :P Happy Lord's Day!

2 comments:

Misty said...

So glad you are feeling better girl! Did you get your Bible Study book this morning at church? I gave them to Krista to give to Ms. Mike. Olaf's back is doing better. He is still slow, but he can move now. Hey, did you read the embarrassing post I was talking about? LOL!

Stephanie said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! I can related to husband's spending time outside doing yard work - I told my husband he smelled like our backyard last night and I think he thought that was a compliment. :-)