Monday, February 28, 2005

It's Monday. A dreary, cold Monday. Remember that song by the Carpenter's, (I think it was the Carpenter's, anyway) "Rainy days and Mondays always get me down...." I'm sure Misty is going to have the song stuck in her head all day as soon as she reads this ;) I remember one day when I was living with my aunt and uncle in Colorado, my aunt Holly had a root canal and we had gone to a restaurant for supper, her three little girls were whining and crying and yes, it was a rainy Monday. My uncle Paul saw my aunt's growing exasperation and started belting out a revised version of the song,(in his best girly voice) "Rainy days and Mondays, and root canals, and whiny kids always get me down..." I guess we all could write our own version of "what gets us down." Anyway, my mother's visit was wonderful, we haven't had that much opportunity to really talk since I left home. We talk quite often on the phone, but don't usually get beyond the day to day. While she was here, she told me some things about her childhood and growing up years that I had never heard, we talked about my dad's status in school and just had some really great heart to hearts. I know I am so incredibly blessed to have her, no one could ask for a better mother. She is so loving and caring and so completely selfless. She is the perfect example of a willing and joyful servant and a devoted and submissive wife. She's not perfect, everyone has their faults, but her life is one of constant service and hopeful reliance upon the God Who strengthens her. The life she has lead has not been easy, she had an alcoholic father and a quick tempered and impatient mother, she was the glue, the middle child peacemaker that tried to hold the family together, and then she married her childhood sweetheart, only to have him fall ill and have to go on all sorts of medications that so altered his personality and his abilities, he was unable to work, or barely function for years, so she basically raised three kids by herself, working up to three jobs at a time. You know I never heard her complain. You'd think I would be a better mother, a better wife, a better Christian, I have such an amazing example to look to. My dad has been much better for years, and they are enjoying their "empty nest" and their soon to be 9 grandchildren. I wish we could live closer, though.

My baby shower on Thursday was so wonderful. I am constantly amazed at all the special and talented people I have the blessing of calling friends. It was so fun. Grace got soooo much stuff, beautiful little clothes and some diapers and wipes and stuffed animals and her first little dolly and some cute little picture frames and a set of classical music tapes and a gorgeous crocheted afghan. The decorations were so beautiful, the food was yummy and the games were really fun. Now I just have to get all my thankyou's done!!

Nathan was gone Monday morning to Thursday night late last week. It was great to have the time to visit with my mom, we played Scrabble and watched chick flicks, but I missed my husband so much. It was so nice to have him come home. I joke with him that we should fight more often so we can make up, and when he came home I told him (very tongue in cheek) that he should go away more often so then he can come home again. He is so special and everyday I feel like I see more of him that is good and caring and wonderful. I have chosen not to concentrate on the negative, and am really trying to fulfill the love of I Corinthians 13 in my relationship with him. Well, i've got to go feed my baby Gracie, who is growing so very quickly, I'll have to post pictures again soon.

No comments: