Thursday, May 05, 2005

Thursday morning. I have Bible study tonight, hopefully Nathan will get home in time to watch the kids so I can go. Yesterday he "took the day off" which meant he went golfing with three business associates, went out to lunch with them, came home in the late afternoon, mowed the lawn, and came inside 5 minutes before I had to leave for Awana. I am glad he got to do the things that he wanted, but to be honest, I just really wanted him here with me and the kids all day. When he only takes off a weekday about every two months, I feel slightly cheated when he doesn't spend the time he's not at work, at home with us. Oh, well. I didn't say anything to him, they had been planning the golf thing for weeks, and he just forgot about it until the night before. I was glad he could be with the kids last night, though, I hate to bring them out with me on Wednesday nights, their bedtime gets pushed back at least an hour. This Bible study book we are doing is really good, but I'm not sure I agree with everything the author says. It's called "Who Calls Me Beautiful." She is right on in saying that we need to stop looking to the world for our definition of beauty, and look to the One Who is the creator of all true beauty. I loved the application of the verse "He will beautify the humble with salvation.." It was so fitting and so centering. What I don't know if I agree with is her assertion that doing things to enhance your appearance=a wordly view of beauty. I'm not sure this is even exactly her view, but in the last chapter she said that the woman who changes her hair color to match her mood, and the woman who would never go out into public without makeup on are decieving themselves into believing a wordly definition of beauty will bring them happiness. I think it is really an issue of the heart. I would never go out in public without makeup on. Not because I think wearing makeup is my key to happiness, or because I am trying to please "the world," but because I don't want people coming up to me and saying "You look ill, are you alright?" I have no natural color on my face, and if I don't have on eye makeup, you can seriously not see my eyelashes or my eyebrows. I really do like sick. My husband totally agrees with me here, and says that if it weren't for mascara, we wouldn't be married. I don't think I am sinning or rejecting a Biblical view of beauty by wearing makeup. Does anyone have any thoughts here? I'd love some other people's opinions on this. Oh So Wise Misty is leading Bible study tonight, I look forward to hearing what she has to say on the matter.

2 comments:

Cheri said...

I was talking to Misty about this when she told me about the study and I tend to think like you. I totally agree that it is a matter of the heart. Because YES you can get caught up in focusing too much on the exterior. BUT you can also be ''plain'' and be full of pride in your plain-ness. ONLY God knows the heart. And really where do you draw the line. Should we not care if our clothes match. Is adding a scarf to an outfit because it looks cute in your hair AND matches your capris is that where you've crossed the line? I mean it's hard to blanket ban stuff regarding this, but yes by all means our hearts goal and desire foremost is to please the Lord in all things.

Charity said...

Thanks for your thoughts on this, you guys just spelled it out so much better than I could. I agree, it's hard to blanket ban stuff, and then that leaves no room for Christian liberty.